The Regina project         -           The construction of a swedish N-scale EMU


       
Part 3 -  Restart with new technique
 After a delay of barely 3 years, 
 now it is time for the third part of the article 

  Part 1  -  Preparations                               2002-12-05
  Part 2  -  Resizing the chassis                2003-01-03
  Part 3  -  Restart with new technique    2005-11-06
  Part 4  -  Painting                                      2005-12-01
  Gallery - Photos of model and prototypes.

The two previus articles contains the earlier work with backgrounds and preparations in the construction of a scratchbuilt N-scale EMU. The Regina train from Bombardier. 

Three steps of the construction process.


 
The summer of 2003 - The project halts due to problems with the soft bended lines of the "nose"

I made a few tries with different techniques,
but none of them made me satisfied. 


 
One of the "noses" on the first mockup - far away from good :-(((







2003-2004
While the project was resting there was other upcoming projects, the construction of the body of a diesel engine and a station bulding with an advanced brick patttern.

To solve the challenge with these items I decided to learn more about how to make photo etched details.

This technique was suiting me fine and the results with the scratchbuilt engine and the building gave me new ideas how to continue with the Regina project.
 

 
My idea was to build the body of the EMU  as a frame built ship and the "nose" sliced to reduce the amount of bent areas.

In N-scale that would mean many tiny details, some of them should be bent and then fitted together. To prevent mistakes with measures on the final sheet I built cardboard models to check all measurments.

The models were built  in scale 1:40 which made it more easy to cut out things in cardboard

 To an N-scale modeller a 1:40 model is gigantic 



 


September 2005
Many hours was spent at the computer. 
I use Corel Draw to make all drawings for the etchings.
The file was prepared for printing with color separations to acheive the different grades of etching.
 
When everything was ready the files were sent to a service bureau to make two negative films for the photoetch process which laters was made by another firm.
After not more than a week I had the new etched sheet on my workbench
The original Corel Draw file The final photoetched metal sheet. (A3 format)
 

The intricate details of the front was made in two blocks

and here are the two blocks joined. 

 
  


The main parts of the EMU body,
 the framework, one of the wagon sides and the roof

 


The both wagons while testing the fitting of the roof details

 
While building the bodys this way, the bent areas was reduced to a couple of very small areas in the front. I used small pieces of air drying clay (Das Pronto) to form the areas
 
 
After drying, the areas was sanded to form an almost correct smooth area. 

 

 
The plow on the underside of the front is made of styrene sheet which are glued togheter and then grinded to get the right shape.

 

 
Micro Train couplings are fitted at the front ends of the EMU




 The Kato  JR 681 Thunderbird train


The two extended chassis, one motorized and one dummy.

They are made from Kato chassis which are cutted and then extended to fit to this rather long EMU.

 
The extension of the motorized Kato 11-102 chassis is described in part two of this article.
The dummy chassis comes from a Kato Thunderbird train which is extended in a similar way.


 
 
Some roofing details.


 
 
The patterned details are from the etched sheet.
The isolators are from a set of Sommefeldts isolators and the pantograph is picked from a scrapped loco.

 

November 2005
Another picture of the two wagons side by side.
 Rolling Regina
 A short videoclip from the workbench

    

Next chapter, painting --->

              

Top